Thursday, October 16, 2008

Comparing Strunk and White with Williams


Style: Toward Clarity and Grace by Joseph Williams actually deals with many topics that William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White cover in The Elements of Style. In my first post regarding The Elements of Style, I definitely expressed the fact that I found the book extremely helpful. Sometimes, I don’t need a long drawn out explanation of why something is right or wrong. In my opinion, examples are stronger than explanations. I can definitely follow any explanation and then construct my reasons. Throughout The Elements of Style there are numerous examples that I like, but I am partial to Chapter V, An approach to style. This chapter sort of begins with a conversation about what style is; however, the rest does read like an instruction manual. I don’t know why, but the rule to “Be clear,” is very clear to me. Overall, the Strunk and White book is easier to read and understand.

I very much disliked the first half of Style: Toward Clarity and Grace. I thought Williams’ writing was more confusing than Strunk and White, and in his efforts to explain everything Williams lost me. For one thing, keeping all of the terms straight reminded me of a linguistics class, with agents and subjects and actions. But I did find value in what he was saying. Focusing on subjects, characters, and actions makes sentences more clear. Also, his, “First Two Principles of Clear Writing,” are good to follow. I am going into teaching, so helping students look at their sentences like a play that has a cast of characters and actions may have a positive effect. This is a new way for me to look at sentence structure. In my opinion, the chapters after “Coherence” are more helpful. In think it is because they remind me of Strunk and White. Williams writes on page 115 in, “Concision,” to, “Usually, compress what you mean into the fewest words; and, “Don’t state what your readers can easily infer.” Not only are these principles similar to Strunk and White, but they are written in an instructional style that I like. Chapter 8 contradicts what Strunk and Williams write about length, but Williams also contradicts himself a bit when he writes, “The ability to write clear, crisp sentences that never go beyond twenty words is a considerable achievement…But if you never write sentences longer than twenty words, you’ll be like a pianist who uses only middle octave: you can carry the tune, but without much variety or range” (135). What I also like about Chapter 8 are Williams’ diagrams on coordination because they deal with style. I am constantly trying to find my own style so this chapter applies to me. But the chapter does have the grammar rules and linguistic terminology that I find confusing!

In Style, I can definitely see how Williams decided to expand on ideas from Strunk and White. In his chapter on “Clarity,” Williams is trying to expand on one of Strunk and White’s principles to, “Be Clear.” What is meant by clear? This is what Williams explores. What is Clarity? Difficult to answer.

No comments: